1. Do you believe babies are born good or evil explain?
Now watch the 60 Minutes
2. How has this Yale study impacted on your viewpoint?
3. What confounding variables may have impacted on the outcome of this study?
1. What do you think about this type of parenting? Explain – strengths and weaknesses
2. Compare this to Diane Baumrind’s 4 styles of parenting.
3. Ask your parents what type of parents they grew up with and if it has influenced the choices they have made
ARTICLE FROM THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
Romantic art is a highly emotional school of art. Romantic art revels in the individual, subjective, irrational, imaginative, personal, spontaneous, emotional, visionary and transcendental. It rejects order, calm, harmony, balance, idealization and rationality. Romantic art shows a preference for exotic, mysterious, monstrous, diseased, occult and even satanic subject matter.
Following the Napoleonic Era, Francisco Goya painted a series of paintings on the walls of his home all of which portrayed terrible, fantastical, or morbid imagery. These paintings are now called the Black Paintings, referring to the mental state of Goya during this dark time in his life, due to illness, which made him deaf, as well the political strife in Spain.
How does Goya’s painting of Saturn illustrate the Romantic school in comparison to the ideals of the Enlightenment led by neoclassical artist David?
Pop Art initially seems to glorify popular culture by celebrating soup cans, comic strips and models to the status of fine art on the walls of museums. But, perhaps look again and maybe you will notice the critique of the mass marketing practices and consumer culture that emerged in the United States after World War II.
If you were to design a POP ART exhibit today, what cultural icon would you want to be included? Why?
Until the twentieth century, artists tried to capture reality in their paintings. Surrealism surfaced in the period following WWI in the 1920s, when young artists wanted to create something more than a mere copy of what they saw. Artists became more primitive, dreamlike, violent as well as childlike.
How does Max Ernst’s “Elephant Celebes” reflect the surrealist style art?
Perhaps one of the most well known graffiti artists of the 21st century, Banksy, as he is called, is a master with stencils and a spray can. A spokeswoman for the Brooklyn Museum, said a painting – of a red-coated colonial-era military officer holding a spray-paint can, with antiwar graffiti in the background – was discovered and removed on March 16. Banksy reported “These galleries are just trophy cabinets for a handful of millionaires. The public never has any real say in what art they see.”
1. Is Banksy’s grafitti, art? if it is, should it be in a museum at all? Explain
2. How do you define graffiti?
3. Where is it usually found?
4. Is graffiti really art? Explain
5. If you could design your own graffiti and put it anywhere, what would it be? Where would you place it?
Further study go to Banksy
How does the work of Paul Nash challenge William Phillip’s depiction of the war? Answer the question in terms of subject, composition, color, and perspective (Where does your eye go when viewing the work?)