It reported that veterans of N.F.L. combat are more likely than the rest of us to die from brain diseases, including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Not 50 percent more likely, or twice as likely, but three to four times more likely.
America’s ready for some football, but the human brain may never be.
Read the article on Head Injuries (First 4 paragraphs)
1. Explain what a concussion is? How does this definition differ from one you are familiar with?
2. What are the long term effects of these injuries?
Read High School Sports the Dangers of Concussions http://seattletimes.com/html/highschoolsports/2008347382_concussions04.html
3. What do these stories illustrate need to be done in our contact sports programs?
4. If football is so dangerous to players, should we be watching it? Explain your answer.
5. Based on these two pieces, would you allow your own children play contact sports? Skateboard, Bike Ride etc… Explain
6. How would you reform hockey, football, lacrosse and other contact sports?
7. Find a video that illustrates the dangers of head Injuries to share with the rest of the class – It can be an interview with a victim of head injury, it may be related to changes in safety equipment, a biological explanation of what occurs – Your choice