Part 1: Based on the textbook identify what type of parent style you have grown up with and explain why- Use the descriptions in the text pp. 237-238
- Do you have authoritative, authoritarian, or permissive ?
- Explain by citing examples to illustrate
- Using the pie chart on page 237, discuss why permissive parents frequently have difficulty with their children long term?
- What type of parenting do you believe is most effective? Explain.
- Interview your parents and ask them what their experiences were as a child and how this shaped their parenting style raising you.
- How are they similar to their parents? How are they different?
Part 2: “Why Chinese Moms are Superior”– TWSJ
- Identify five ways Western parents are different from Tiger Moms.
- Why do Tiger Moms emphasize so much more drill and practice in learning new skills?
- In the article Amy Chua remarks, “I also once heard a Western father toast his adult daughter by calling her “beautiful and incredibly competent.” She later told me that made her feel like garbage. ” Why do you think the daughter felt this way?
- How do Tiger Moms and Western parents differ in mind set?
- Identify and explain what you believe is both a strength and a weakness in these point of views.